Installing mods for American Truck Simulator is actually really easy. Modding is supported by the developers so there is no hacking involved. We have two guides available, a short one and a long extensive one.
How to install a mod for ATS: Short Guide
- Download your mod. Always make sure you download your mod from a reliable source and always scan your mod for viruses afterwards.
- Extract your mod if needed. Most mods are archived, the actual mod is a .scs file.
- Move your mod to your mod folder. Your mod folder is located at ‘\My Documents\American Truck Simulator\mod’.
- Start the game, select your profile and click on ‘Mod Manager‘.
- Move your new mods to the right by double clicking.
- Click ‘Confirm Changes‘.
How to install a mod for ATS: Long Guide
This long guide will assume you use 7zip for extracting your files. 7zip is a free archiving tool capable of extracting all well known archives e.g. .zip, .rar and .7z. You can download 7zip from this link: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
- Download your mod. Always make sure you download your mod from a reliable source and make sure to scan it for viruses afterwards. Our mods are always 100% virus free.
- Most mods come in the form of an archive, for example a Zip, Rar or 7Z archive. The actual mod is a .scs file.
- If you haven’t already, install 7zip from the following link: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
- Right click your file and click ‘Properties‘. Check ‘file type‘. If it says ‘.scs’ file than you don’t need to extract your file. Continue with step 6.
- Click ‘OK‘ and return to your file. Right click your file again and select ‘7zip > Extract here‘.
- Now it’s time to move your mod to the mod directory. Right click your file and select ‘cut‘ (or press CTRL+X).
- Navigate to your mod folder. Your mod folder is located at: ‘\My Documents\American Truck Simulator\mod’. If you can’t find it, try CTRL+R and type ‘documents‘ and click on ‘OK‘. This should open your ‘My Documents‘ folder. Now navigate to ‘American Truck Simulator‘ > ‘mods‘.
- Go to ‘File‘ > ‘Paste‘ (or simply press CTRL+V) to cut and paste your mod into your mod folder.
- Start the game. Select your profile and click on ‘Mod manager‘. Double click your mod to add it to the list of active mods.
- Click ‘Confirm Changes‘
- Load your profile.
Hopefully by now you know how to install mods for American Truck Simulator. Can’t find your mod in the Mod Manager or is it not working as expected? Head over to our forums, we will be glad to answer your questions!