The American Truck Simulator graphics are pretty good by default, but I wasn’t a big fan of the color temperature overall compared to what is realistic. SweetFX solved this for me. Until I switched to Windows 10. Windows 10 comes with DirectX12 by default and SweetFX and DirectX12 don’t play nice.
So back to the drawing board I went and I tried my luck with Reshade. Reshade is basically an injector that can handle multiple shaders, one being SweetFx. I figured I’d make a guide on how to use Reshade with American Truck Simulator so everyone can enjoy this.
Go to http://reshade.me/, click on ‘Download‘ 2. Click on ‘Reshade 1.1‘
3. Download the file
1. Appareantly ReShade has been updated to version 3.0. Version 3.0 is NOT compatible (atleast not out of the box) with American Truck Simulator. For this guide I recommend using version 1.1.0f1 which you can find at https://www.mediafire.com/folder/8ar1jhh1809cl/ReShade_Repository#9ckrmgp4813fy (down at the bottom)
2. Unzip the file, it doesn’t matter where, as long as you remember where you unzipped it.
3. Double click on ‘mediator.exe‘
4. Close EULA.txt (the text file that pops up)
5. Click ‘Add‘
6. Browse to ‘amtrucks.exe‘ and click on ‘Open‘. You can find ‘amtrucks.exe’ in the root-folder, by default this is “\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\American Truck Simulator\bin\win_x64\”.
7. Click on ‘Confirm‘
8. Click on ‘Add‘
9. Now close the mediator by clicking the X in the top right corner.
10. Download my preset at: ats-world-reshade-1.zip
11. Unzip atsworld-reshade.zip on your desktop
12. Go to your desktop and click on the unzipped folder and copy everything into your ReShade folder you unzipped at step 4.
13. Click on ‘Replace‘. If you don’t get the question if you want to replace some files you are probably copying to the wrong folder.
14. Browse to your Reshade folder
15. Start mediator.exe
16. Click on ‘Pipeline‘ and make sure your mediator looks the one below. Edit: Make sure SMAA is enabled! (guide will be updated very soon)
17. Start American Truck Simulator, a message should appear in the top left corner
18. Load up your profile and go to “Settings” > “Graphics” > disable “Antialiasing MLAA”.
19. Finished! Well done!
If for some reason ReShade doesn’t work for you, or if you have any suggestions or questions about this guide I’ll be happy to help you out. Just post your issue in this topic: http://ats.world/forums/topic/guide-how-to-use-reshade-with-american-truck-simulator/